North Bridge and Black Duck Software just published the Future of Open Source 10th Anniversary Survey Results – an activity that OSEHRA participated in.
Some key insights from this year’s study (Excerpted from the study):
- Open Source Is The Modern Architecture. Open Source is the foundation now for nearly all applications, operating systems, cloud computing, databases, big data and more. Open Source development has gone from the exception to the rule.
- Open Source IS the Engine of Innovation. Open Source is driving business because it facilitates faster, more agile development. This translates into quicker builds, accelerate time to market and vastly superior interoperability.
- There is a new generation of companies and business models emerging. Respondents report that in the next two or three years, the business models that will generate the most revenue for open source vendors are SaaS (46%), Custom Development (42%), and Services/Support (41%).
- Challenges remain: Open Source security and management practices have not kept pace with rapid adoption. In the wake of high profile breaches, there is likely to be more emphasis on security.
- Participation and contribution will secure the future of open source. Investing in the open source community spurs innovation, delivers exponential value and most of all, it’s fun.
For more information, see the slide show – http://www.slideshare.net/North_Bridge/2016-future-of-open-source-study
Post from OSEHRA Team